Monday, October 20, 2008

The one?

A friend asked me today, How did I know Yvette was "The One?"
Its a good question, one I should answer and always remember the answer too.
It wasn't immediate, there was no instant knowledge. But then of course, we didn't meet face to face for months after we first started communicating. First on the havens, then by phone, and letters. We had up and downs even while never having seen each other. Then finally we did meet face to face and spent about 3 weeks together before she had to go back home. I was pretty sure by then she was the one for me. If possible, I would have asked her to stay. As it was, it was almsot 2 more years before we got married.
Love is not a feeling, or perhaps its Far far more than a feeling.
Love isn't just happiness and rose petals. Love, real love, is staying there when you are so pissed off you can barely see straight and not disappearing. Love is giving yourself FOR the other person, not just to them.

1 Cor.13: 4-8

4 Love is patient. Love is kind. It does not want what belongs to others. It does not brag. It is not proud. 5 It is not rude. It does not look out for its own interests. It does not easily become angry. It does not keep track of other people's wrongs.

6 Love is not happy with evil. But it is full of joy when the truth is spoken. 7 It always protects. It always trusts. It always hopes. It never gives up.

8 Love never fails.


Now I pray that I can live up to that standard because sadly I fall far short far too often.
Yvette, I love you and how you have forgiven me so much just humbles me.

No comments: